Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Goodness

I was sitting alone and reading a mail received from my son’s friend. She is suffering from back pain since quite a long time. Going to physiotherapist is helping her but the healing process is very slow. Now her back pain has slowly taken to her knee joints Doctors diagnosed her pain due to over weight and ordered her to just sleep to bring her comfort.
When I cam to know about her state of health, I sent her mail thinking she might share her pain and discomfort with me which might help divert her attention. I sent her mail and asked her to focus on the wellness that she wanted rather than focusing on how much pain is left and how much has gone. Inadvertently I asked to be good and do good for others.
She wrote me “I want to always keep people around me happy. But somehow I believe this ideology is not acceptable to all and people think I am doing things out of my way and putting myself in front of others and doing things making it inconvenient for me, whereas I can't convince people that doing this gives me happiness and I feel happy from within and helps me too forget my sorrows or pain.
After reading her mail even though I wanted to send reply to her, I couldn’t as I saw her state of mind. I started thinking about goodness and the meaning she derives on her own.

What is goodness? Several dictionaries have different meanings. But what I feel is suitable is, it is quality or virtue of our soul which can be experienced but cannot be measured, quantified or depicted. It is in every human being but is covered with our ego, sentiments and feelings thus coloring it with our own complexion and shape.
But the purest form of goodness is the extremities which cannot be touched even by our thoughts. No boundaries can be drawn to shape it but can be seen in the form of expression.
Depiction of goodness to many is like being goody goody to others; thinking that going out of way to make people happy is what is called goodness. Every act they put before people is like bringing some kind of euphemism of goodness. Convincing people that they are good is like blackening the face of goodness. Can a virtue of soul be changed, modified, customized, tailored or personalized? Can sunshine be changed? Can moonlight be modified?
If we want to be good, nobody can stop us from being so. There is no need to convince people that we care for them. There is no need to go out of the way to make them happy. This goodness through our soul just flows. Just as sunshine radiates through sun and flows around it, this goodness flows through our heart and mind.
Let the goodness flow through each of us to each other.

1 comment: